lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] AF_UNIX support

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] AF_UNIX support
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2012 00:36:43 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 08:14:53PM +0800, ?? wrote:

> You are right, but the embedded systems becoming increasingly complex,

This is not true, embedded devices still start from microcontrollers
with no more than thousand operands code size and a few tens bytes of
memory to system on chip with hundreds of megabytes of memory and
storage.

Between them, there is somewhere the target of lwIP, systems that cannot
fork processes, which are probably not flashless, without MMU. I guess
the target systems with 16 KiB of memory and 128 KiB flash to 128 KiB
memory and 1 MiB flash.

Among them, there is no need for IPC between processes, since they
cannot afford the memory and storage cost of running other than threads.

> If lwip support AF_UNIX domain, Many software porting will
> become very easy, That do not even need to modify the code, If not, we
> will need to modify the code.Also AF_UNIX can be retrenched, It will
> not affect the small system.As for the file system, can only define a
> lwip_vfs structure, and achieved by porting the code.If no plans in
> the future to support AF_UNIX, then a lot of the system will be
> continue to use the BSD / socket.Because lwip socket layer currently
> very difficult to join a new domain by user now, I suggest that
> developers should join AF_UNIX domain. Thanks!

All systems that are running heavy processes already provide IPC
mechanisms, AF_UNIX is just one of them.

Sylvain