lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] IPV6CP

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] IPV6CP
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 00:16:14 +0200

Hi Art,

On Wed, Sep 19, 2012 at 08:50:58AM -0600, Art Heers wrote:
> On 9/18/2012 1:54 PM, Sylvain Rochet wrote:
> >
> > By the way, why do you need PPP Server support ?  This seem rather
> > an uncommon thing for an embedded devices to act as a PPP server,
> > maybe for remote dialup management (but why over IP?) ?
>
> An answer to the probe I put out on this very question (our current
> dataloggers support PPP Server):
>
> "Art,
> I have only heard of a few cases where a logger is acting as a PPP server.
> I seem to recall this is needed for NTCIP over dial phone modem connections.
> Additionally, a customer using a linux PC to "dial" the logger to
> establish a PPP/IP session for the transfer of data files via FTP.
> If it is okay with you, I would like to poll the AEs
> Sam"

In order to help a little bit about adding PPP server support, I changed
all the code currently commented out between PPP_SERVER macros to be
compatible with our changes to PPP.

It now builds if PPP_SERVER is enabled, meaning the auth layer and
PAP/CHAP(MD5+MS)/EAP sub-layers probably work.

However, some work is still required to add a way to get logins and
passwords for authenticating clients. pppd code using
/etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets is obviously disabled.

And a huge work is still required to add passive interface support to
PPP itself (in our ppp.c) and PPP sub layers, HDLC-like framing for
PPPoS, Ethernet for PPPoE and UDP for PPPoL2TP.

Sylvain