lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Where to start for porting lwip to octeon processors?

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Where to start for porting lwip to octeon processors?
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2012 08:22:49 +0200

Tom Sawyer wrote:
>     If I want to port lwip to octeon processors running as simple
> executive
> progress , which software architecture is preferred , run-to-complete or
> pipeline ?

Before starting, maybe you should know that lwIP was not designed for
multithreading environments: many global and/or static variables are used and
to reduce the memory footprint, often there are state dependencies between the
protocol modules.

The main principle when porting lwIP to a new platform is that at any time,
only one thread may be active in the lwIP 'core' code. That is why application
threads (e.g. using sockets) either pass messages to a dedicated lwIP thread
(called the 'tcpip_thread') or they have to take a global lock before calling
into lwIP core functions.

I don't say it can't be done, but I guess the resulting code will be very much
out of sync to the lwIP git sources...

Simon