lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] sys_arch and possibly internetif_arch

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] sys_arch and possibly internetif_arch
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2013 20:51:12 +0200

Niklas,

I don't really understand what would be the difference between the current situation and what you propose. Aside from maybe the init function, what would be the common code in the "stump" file? I think your proposal would mainly result in renaming files, not much more.

Simon

Niklas Johansson wrote:
Hey,

I am new to LwIP so this question might completely stupid.

If I am correct LwIP have a very smart method of "attaching" an "OS" through the use of sys_arch.c and sys_arch.h. In my case FreeRTOS. My feeling is that this method could be used to "attaching" the "board" as well. In my case STM32F4xx.

For some time I was confused over the many ethernetif.c files floating around over all example code I have seen. I therefore propose ethernetif_arch.c arch/ethernet_arch.h. And that the ethernet.c could be rewritten so instead of being a skeleton file could be a "stump".

My hope would be that this would make it easier for users of LwIP to have less files. For example in FreeRTOS there could be good ethernetif_arch files for different ports.

My 2 cents.

Niklas