lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] SNMP improvements

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] SNMP improvements
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2014 12:29:44 +0100

Freddie Chopin wrote:
[..]
Lately I'm playing with SNMP in lwip and while it works it has some
strange details inside...
[..]
This is just a start, as there are many other places where const would
be nice (one of them is sysobjid, for which I have a patch too), which
generally reduces RAM usage considerably.

I have some nice ideas for improvements, code rework (which would make
it more object-oriented - MUCH shorter and MUCH more "localized"), API
changes to make it easier to use etc. However I don't know whether such
patches would be accepted, as these would break current API and lwip
seems a bit abandoned lately (there are lots of patches sitting on the
page, there were no commits lately etc.)...

Well, abandoned is really not the correct word :-) At least I am still active but I haven't had too much time last year, unfortunately. As you may see, I've been trying to catch up recently. Patches are still very welcome of course!!

On the other hand SNMP is
probably not the most used feature of lwip and it could really benefit
from some (API-breaking) improvements...

Exactly. I think the SNMP part is the most "non-lightweight" in lwIP and I'd *love* to see it smaller :-)

BTW: if you're looking for work, we could need a kind of compiler to create C stub code out of MIBs... :-)

Thanks for your contribution,
Simon