lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Constraining pbuf pools location by the linker

From: Bastien Allibert
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Constraining pbuf pools location by the linker
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2014 16:55:11 +0100

Hi again,

Sorry guys, forget about my previous question... just realized all pbuf payloads are located in memp_memory, so it's very easy now to constrain this area in my linker script.

Anyway, i take the opportunity to thank you all for your amazing job on lwIP !

Thanks
Regards
Bastien

Hi all,

I have a question regarding the pbuf pool location : in few words : is it possible, or did anybody already tried, to constrain pbuf pool location (at least payload) in memory ?

More explanations on my project : I'm currently devleoping an audio streaming receiver with lwIP and decided to go for zero-copy ethernet driver for 2 reasons : performance (no need for a data copy) and memory savings (no need for a dedicated buffer for ethernet DMA). I'm using STM32F107 and STM32F4 chip.

The problem is : in STM32F4 chip, not all of the memory can be accessed by the ethernet DMA. So, if i want to compute my DMA descriptors on-the-fly to use directly the pbuf payload, this payload has to be in an accessible location for the DMA.. (my driver works on STM32F107 which does not have this constraint).

Consequently, my question is : did somebody already have this problem ? is there some kind of macro that has been intended to handle such case and which would constrain pbuf declaration into a given linker section statement ?

Thanks for your help
Regards
Bastien