lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] FTP client

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] FTP client
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2014 10:11:39 -0300

Hi Laurent,
I've been collecting some examples and ended up with an eCos client and
a derivative. Both seem to be written for lwIP and not using the raw
interface.
I have plans to add such a client in the not so distant future, so I'm
willing to cooperate on this task. I'm definitely biting more than I can
chew in terms of simultaneous projects, so don't expect me to be a great
help if you are in a hurry.
Let's start coordinating our needs. Mine are:
- raw interface
- no OS (at all)
- low memory footprint, both flash and RAM
- PUT, GET can wait or even be absent
- no need to have other commands except for BINARY and PASV (if I'm not
missing something)

My guidelines:
- As there is no OS, there are no files.
-- We can use the same "filesystem" interface from the httpdserver_raw
for a pseudo file system, I have extended it to support authentication
for my own fork of the server and plan to extend it more.
-- Besides that, we'll also need a datahandler/callback to generate the
info on the fly. This is handy when you have your logs or tables or data
or whatever and need to upload them on a server as files. You browse
your data and generate a report record by record while putting the file,
this requires almost no memory, no file system, and gets the job done in
an elegant way. This function is called (back) at transfer state, I have
working examples from other platforms we can peek (not use). I plan

I think this is the bare bones client I need and can be relatively easy
to write. Let me know yours.
I would use Simon's SMTP client as a skeleton and the collected FTP
clients as a reference. I will send you those by pm if you agree.

We can setup a CVS/SVN/git tree somewhere and cooperate, I'm more
proficient with CVS and SVN, but can use git. When we have something
working, we can submit to this list and wait for it to be added (or
not), but serve it somewhere in the meantime.
We can then keep our traffic off the list, if someone else is interested
can post on this thread and we'll give directions. Do you agree ?