lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] LWIP in multithreaded environments - reloaded

From: Fabian Koch
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] LWIP in multithreaded environments - reloaded
Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2014 08:33:09 +0000

Hey Daniel,

well, as always: it depends.

As Simon agreed in the email threads, it would definitely be desired to have at
least a "abort" capability.
Meaning a Task should be able to close() a socket which another Task is either
waiting for in accept() or a blocking send() or a blocking receive() or a
select().

That part would not be too much effort but it would need very thorough
(unit)testing to make sure there can be no unwanted side-effects.

(getting most of this to work is what I have already done for my private fork)

The real deal however (making the sockets independent of Tasks and thus also
enabling full-duplex protocols) will be a bit more daunting as it will involve
a lot more code and resources (both in LwIP and in terms of development).

I am pretty sure that this goal is not feasible because it would involve lots
of effort and LwIP might just loose the "Lw" part when that code gets merged.

Kind regards,
Fabian