lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] netif->flags: u8_t -> u16_t ?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] netif->flags: u8_t -> u16_t ?
Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2015 19:59:24 +0100

Sylvain Rochet wrote:
I'm finding that all 8 flags in the NETIF interface are taken. I'd
have to expand the flags field to 16 bit.

Should I do it conditionally (i.e. #if LWIP_IPV6 -> u16_t flags;),
or do we think it's time to increase the size of this field for all
configurations?
I don't think adding more ifdef for only one byte of memory is really
relevant.

Yep. I can't even remember talking about netif->flags... pbuf size is always an issue because of possible cache line alignment requirements, but netif should be no problem at all seeing that most users will have one or two of these at most...

Plus, we should already all use IPv6 nowadays, still considering IPv6 as
a nice-to-have and not a must-have sounds wrong for me :)

Now that depends a *lot* on your target market. I guess our products won't need to support IPv6 for the next five to ten years, simply because there would be noone to talk to :-)

Simon