lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #7855] Provide alternative timeout implementation

From: James Smith
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #7855] Provide alternative timeout implementation
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2015 09:11:45 +0000

Follow-up Comment #6, patch #7855 (project lwip):

> Follow-up Comment #4, patch #7855 (project lwip):
> ... Also, if drift was an issue on a specific platform, ...

Nope. Drift can occur on any platform with the "existing" lwIP design if
SYS_ARCH_TIMEOUT is returned. As previously mentioned it would just have a
more noticeable effect on lower CPU throughput systems. I first fixed the
problem (using a variant of this patch) ~4 years ago on a relativel slow
<60MHz AT91SAM7 design, and then when I got to my current company it exhibited
on a few different architectures (m68k, arm, mips, etc.) including some
relatively fast designs.

However, whatever design/patch is finally "committed to the head" I would be
happy with as long as the result is drift free :-)

If nothing else the concept of allowing a platform to override the lwIP timer
support via "opt.h" would be a good thing, regardless of whatever
implementation actually exists.

So,

> Follow-up Comment #4, patch #7855 (project lwip):
> ... we could just make sys_timeout/sys_untimeout overridable

gets my vote.

Was there ever an objection to the creation of SYS_TIME_TYPE and STTT_F to
make "time" opaque? (and the corresponding sys_arch_time_before()
macro/function to allow an opaque time object).

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?7855>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/