lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] [bug #40245] unix port minimal project has abundant tim

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] [bug #40245] unix port minimal project has abundant timers
Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2015 20:59:17 +0100

Sylvain Rochet wrote:
Yes, it is simpler but it does not add any new outstanding test features

I'm not too familiar with tun/tap, so the first outstanding test feature would be: it would make it easier for myself to test the unix port.

IMHO, pcap interface is more or less a subset of tun/tap.

Tun/tap might be a method well evolved in the unix world, but asking the other way round: does tun/tap provide anything useful that pcap doesn't? If not, using pcap would make it easier to get started with lwIP than tun/tap (IMHO).

Is there a valid use case where unix and win32 ports are used for anything else than testing the stack ?

'Valid usecases' are always hard to define. What might be a valid use case for you might not be one for me. For widely used library like lwIP, I don't know if we could even find a consensus...

Anyway, a very valid usecase for me is to test our *application* code on the PC. This does not mean testing the lwIP stack, but everything behind it using it. And if your embedded OS is posix-like (which our OSes are not, yet), it migh be a valid use case to develop on linux using the unix port.

On the other hand, you're probably correct in that this doesn't have a high priority at all.

Simon