lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] PPP code size

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] PPP code size
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 2015 21:14:12 +0100

Hello Ivan,

On Mon, Mar 16, 2015 at 01:48:50PM -0600, Ivan Delamer wrote:
> Didn't mean to point the finger like it came across!! sorry sylvain!

Well, you are right taking care of that. I must admit I don't check that
thoroughly even if I'm doing a lot of commits in order to reduce the PPP
memory footprint (first), stack requirement (second) and overall code
size (third). Sometimes we need a bit more code when we are fixing bugs
or security issues.

> I will load a couple different versions and trace the code size to
> see what happens. 20K for LwIP seems like a lot. There must be some
> setting I messed up.

I guess too, I tested in the worst case: x86_64, not stripped, using
-ggdb (so using DWARF 2, which is huuuuge in size), and nothing gained
so much, the lwIP core was 14016 bytes bigger in this case, that's still
a lot less than 20 KiB considering you are probably building for a
32-bit target and without symbols.

By the way, 20 KiB on a total of ? :)

Sylvain