lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #44565] PPPOS support in tcpip thread breaks SLIP

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #44565] PPPOS support in tcpip thread breaks SLIP
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2015 07:28:50 +0000

> Simon, what do you think about Ivan proposal: "I wonder if we
> should do the same with Ethernet packets?" I agree we should.

I don't think we should. It would break all applications (not ports) passing
tcpip_input to netif_add. We could rather make ethernet_input the default and
add something for "raw" IP input, which seems a far more uncommon case to me.

> Maybe we can also remove the useless struct netif input pointer.

I don't think it's useless: the code calling netif->input is written by a port
developer. But the decision of passing tcpip_input or ethernet_input to
netif_add is one that has to be done by the application developer. You could
argue that this could be solved via '#if NO_SYS', but even then, the problem
of little optimization vs. breaking existing ports remains.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?44565>

  Nachricht gesendet von/durch Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/