lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #44805] sendmsg implementation to support scatter/gath

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #44805] sendmsg implementation to support scatter/gather IO
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 21:20:18 +0000

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release:
            lwIP version: git head

Details:

I've developed a sendmsg() addition to the sockets API.  It follows the Open
Group specification to provide support for scatter/gather IO from
applications.

http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009695399/functions/sendmsg.html

My use case was to reduce memory bandwidth utilization in an embedded system
by removing memory copies.  The implementation does not support control
messages as that is not used for scatter/gather IO

sendmsg helps with this use case because it allows applications to send
vectored I/O data through LwIP without memory copying into a contiguous
buffer.

I have compiled and tested the implementation against the master branch of
lwip.  I have also included two tests in socket_examples.c that exercise the
TCP and UDP cases.

I would like to work to get these patches submitted to master.

Thanks!

File Attachments: