lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Moving Layer4+ protocols to main git

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Moving Layer4+ protocols to main git
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 2015 21:28:45 +0200

Joel Cunningham wrote:
I like the idea, maybe an apps folder under src?

Something like that, yes.

I am curious about what the criteria will be for accepting new apps. It seems that applications using the RAW API are unique to LwIP, but applications written against the BSD sockets interface could work with other stacks and may not be very unique to LwIP. Would apps lightweight in nature be enough for inclusion?

In my opinion, they would be RAW API applications. I'm personally not a big fan of the netconn API as I think the zero-copy feature being the only difference to the socket API is not enough advantage to maintain an own API for it. As such, I wouldn't want to maintain netconn apps.

Aside from that, an application must of course either have a maintainer or must be easy enough for others to understand/maintain.

One final thought, we could potentially move the DHCP client into this folder since it is indeed a layer 5 protocol. Other stacks implement the DHCP client (and server) outside of the TCP/IP stack itself.

Well, with these protocols (DNS as well) you could argue. However, DHCP is too integrated into the stack (e.g. input processing, AutoIP integration) for me to handle it as an applications, although it is L5. Or at least, moving it to "apps" would mean more work to cleanly make the core code not depend on it.

Simon