lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] 6lowpan support in lwip

From: Sergio R. Caprile
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] 6lowpan support in lwip
Date: Wed, 24 Feb 2016 14:49:19 -0300

Hi Simon,

I'm planning to start a number of lwIP stacks with 6LoWPAN on Linux,
reading/writing to a fifo. That would work for a "desk only" test, but I
bet it still qualifies as theory...
Next step will be to use XBee 802.15.4 hardware for the radio and some
Cortex-M for the stack. This would require some sort of translation
between 6LoWPAN generated MAC info and XBee's API but leaves out the RF
design issues.
Next step will be hw based on TI chipsets (Cortex-M)
Unfortunately all this is secondary to my main "reason to be paid for"
so it waits in the queue until there are no more urgent products to
deliver...
AFAIK there are no plug&play solutions without some proprietary stuff,
or with the resources to run lwIP. I've been aside from this subject for
a while though, and things might have changed. I'd love to have a module
to play with this (and give my employers to sell).

My main concern is how useful would this be without the RPL/ROLL part...
in southamerica we have masonry walls (same as Europe, I guess),
sometimes really thick, quite different from northamerica's gypsum and
wood, and is quite normal to be unable to talk to the lower floor and
sometimes adyacent rooms. I in fact have a separate Wi-Fi access point
for my office, which is right above the main access point for the second
floor.