lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2016 15:56:05 +0000

Follow-up Comment #7, patch #8882 (project lwip):

0002-Optimize-sendmsg-UDP-pbuf-chain-creation.patch submitted in
80cc988f2f27479c6e75cfa986e706382dd47c48

Simon,

I agree that a pbuf chain would be a way to represent a set of vectors in the
TCP case as well, but unfortunately the TCP write path in the netconn layer
can't accept a pbuf.

Were you suggesting re-writing lwip_netconn_do_write() to use a pbuf instead
of a pointer and size?

We could do this, though since tcp_write() also doesn't take a pbuf, we'd end
up with the change that effectively I created, where
lwip_netconn_do_writemore() is managing a set of vectors and is iterating
through them as the TCP buffer/window allows more sending, but instead we are
using a pbuf chain for our type rather than struct iovec.

This eliminates the type issue you brought up and I'd be fine to implement it
this way if you're ok with lwip_netconn_do_writemore() iterating through pbufs
rather than a more traditional set of vectors (or a single pointer as is now).
 This could even be an iterative step towards having a version of tcp_write
that handles pbufs.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8882>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/