lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] PolarSSL -> mbed TLS

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] PolarSSL -> mbed TLS
Date: Tue, 8 Mar 2016 20:12:24 +0100

Hi Jonathan,

On Tue, Mar 08, 2016 at 06:42:19PM +0000, Jonathan Larmour wrote:
> On 07/03/16 22:54, Sylvain Rochet wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 24, 2016 at 09:43:26PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
> > > I just wondered: now that PolarSSL has been bought by ARM and the
> > > successor, mbed TLS is available under a non-GPL license again
> > > (Apache): [snip]
> >
> > We can probably allow using ASL in lwIP, it reaches my limit at
> > understanding slight differences between licenses, from my opinion
> > it's as free as BSD.
>
> According to the FSF, it's not compatible with the GPLv2 [1], only
> GPLv3. That is why mbed TLS is dual licensed with GPLv2:
> https://tls.mbed.org/how-to-get
>
> Some care would be needed in how it is incorporated into lwIP, or
> perhaps, incorporating would be the wrong approach and it should just be
> a case of the user linking against an mbed TLS they've built themselves.

You are right, I didn't thought of that although I already known that
the main difference between ASL and BSD is that files under ASL can't be
relicensed under another license. Since mbed TLS is dual licensed with
GPLv2 that doesn't stop it to be included. If it were not dual licensed
it would have prevented lwIP to be used in a GPLv2 project and it would
then have been blocking for inclusion in lwIP. Correct me if I am wrong :-)

Sylvain