lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #38203] DHCP options are not recorded in all DHCP ack

From: Florent Matignon
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #38203] DHCP options are not recorded in all DHCP ack messages
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 18:41:35 +0000

Hello,

I had to fix this bug because it did affect my application.

I think the issue described on the user's list about REBOOTING state may also
occur in RENEWING or REBINDING since lwip does not send the parameters list in
all those cases.

I've been digging RFC 2131 and it states "If the client included a list of
requested parameters in a DHCPDISCOVER message, it MUST include that list in
all subsequent messages." (section 4.3.2 "DHCPREQUEST message" and section
4.4.1 "Initialisation and allocation of network address").
>From my understanding, DHCPREQUEST messages sent from SELECTING, RENEWING,
REBINDING and INIT-REBOOT states should include the parameter list, even if
this is not explicitely written in the RFC.
Even if not explicitely required, doing so is allowed and should force every
DHCP server to send the parameters in the following ACK.

I attach the patch I used to fix this bug, which consists in Simon's original
fix plus sending requested parameters list in dhcp_renew(), dhcp_rebind() and
dhcp_reboot().

(file #36689)

Additional Item Attachment:

File name: dhcp-options-are-not-recorded-in-all-dhcp-ack-messages.patch Size:2
KB

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?38203>

  Message posté via/par Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/