lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] PPP LCP Phases Not Enum in 2.0.0 Beta

From: Greg Smith
Subject: [lwip-devel] PPP LCP Phases Not Enum in 2.0.0 Beta
Date: Mon, 1 Aug 2016 21:50:30 +0000

Hello.

In Lwip 1.4.1, the PPP LCP states (phases) were all defined as an enum (typedef LinkPhase).  This made seeing the state in a debugger really nice -- it would show "PHASE_DEAD", for example.

In 2.0.0 Beta1, they have been converted to #define macros.  Now the debugger only shows a number (0, for example), which isn't as convenient.

So:

1)      I'd like to understand why this change was made.

2)      Barring a compelling argument above, I'd like to ask if this could go back to an enumerated type.

3)      And likewise, could other state information, like the PPPERR_* macros, link states (PPP_FSM_*), etc. be changed to enums for the same debugging purpose?

I certainly don't want to hold up 2.0.0, but I would like to understand the motivation behind the change.

Thanks.

-- G

x8719