lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #49139] IGMP "All Systems" vs MLD "All Nodes" inconsis

From: Daniel Elstner
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #49139] IGMP "All Systems" vs MLD "All Nodes" inconsistency
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2016 18:51:20 +0000 (UTC)

About the possibility of a filter that does add/remove addresses: At least for
Ethernet hardware, I really can't think of such a scenario. The main problem
is that the IP address does not map to a unique MAC address. So you can't just
e.g. scan a table of MAC addresses to find the one to remove. One would need
to maintain extra bookkeeping information to make something like that work.

I'd argue that for status_callback() it would be far more useful to have
information on what exactly has changed, but it does not provide any details
either.

OK, I didn't realize that IGMP could be stopped independently of the netif.
Although even so, as long as the IGMP start/stop status can be queried the
notification callback without parameters would be enough to deal with it.

In any case I could easily live with the API as it right now, since the one
major concern I had with it (#49125) has been swiftly addressed. The handling
of the all-systems/all-modes groups should probably be documented though. Also
the fact that the all-systems group eats up a memp slot with IGMP.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?49139>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/