lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2016 15:26:26 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #23, patch #8882 (project lwip):

So the last patch that I posted is file #37785 which converts
lwip_netconn_do_write() to operate on a netbuf containing a chained pbuf
rather than just a data pointer.  I think the previous patches were either
already accepted (UDP optimization) or were rejected.

Our last brainstorming/approach was that if we could get the vectors for a TCP
send into a netbuf, we could also add TCP support to netconn_send() and have a
common netbuf API for UDP/TCP sending.

Once I converted lwip_netconn_do_writemore() to take a netbuf, then we could
hook up sendmsg to netconn_send, but the problem is that the function
signature of netconn_send() doesn't really support partial writes as there is
no way to output the size sent.  This left me thinking that the netconn_send
approach may not make sense for TCP and we need a new function

Coming back to the issue after some time, I'm not sure why we thinking of
using a netbuf because lwip_netconn_do_writemore() is only operating on the
chained pbuf.  We could have sendmsg assemble the pbuf, then have a netconn
API that takes the pbuf and sends it through to lwip_netconn_do_writemore().
My only question is, is it appropriate to have a pbuf exposed in the netconn
API?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8882>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/