lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9164] Add option to set and use peer DNS server

From: Sylvain Rochet
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9164] Add option to set and use peer DNS server
Date: Thu, 17 Nov 2016 13:53:59 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #6, patch #9164 (project lwip):

Simon took the words right out of my mouth here :-)

To summarize, opt.h and *_opts.h are compile-time options, ppp_set_* macros
and functions defined in ppp.h are runtime options, we try to prevent having
an option in both in order to avoid confusion.

That is, if an option move from compile-time to runtime we will probably
remove it from compile-time and add this behavior change in the upgrade
documentation.

If necessary, we might add default values in ppp_opts.h if we need a runtime
configuration with a value different than 0 as default and we will clearly
state that it is a default value and not a compile-time option. I still prefer
hardcoded default values if there is an available runtime config macro.

The changed DNS behavior from lwIP 1.4 to lwIP 2.0 is properly documented in
PPP documentation in upgrade path section. There was actually no PPP DNS
integration at all in lwIP 1.4, user had to do the gluing himself in the PPP
state callback.

Basically, the balance between options that are compile-time options and as
such change all PPP interfaces configuration in case of multiple PPP netif
devices and options that are runtime options and as such are per PPP interface
configuration is based on what users asked (and what I needed indeed ;) ) to
be runtime configuration, everything else is compile-time. Therefore I am
willing to move options from compile-time to runtime based on users input but
not the contrary, which is mostly what Ajay is asking here; he actually asked
for a default value change without affecting the runtime config but that was
just a side effect instead of the primary intention.

Hope it clarified everything on this subject :-)

Sylvain

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9164>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/