lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9169] Allows multicast packets through udp input la

From: Alex Moran
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9169] Allows multicast packets through udp input layer
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 18:03:32 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #9169 (project lwip):

> 2) I only want to receive from the specified remote IP address/port.
   Shouldn't this be possible but not care about the port? I ONLY want data
from that IP address, I want to connect to that device...it's much like UDP
bind (in regards to changing semantics), where port 0 is an invalid port
signifies you really don't care what port you open up on. Why not have it
configured to be able to handle both cases?

The IP/UDP layer should be able to be configured in a way so that the
application layer will only be given data that it wants. This is a solution so
it's guaranteed. If it's not necessary to put the burden on the application,
then it should be done on the UDP layer.

In regards to the multicast traffic, you're saying it is impossible to receive
a multicast packet without receiving all incoming data to that port, this
doesn't seem right? There is no way to filter out multicast traffic on the udp
layer?

In regards to both patches, I can't think of a way to misuse/abuse the library
in a way that you'd be receiving packets that are unexpected or breaks
functionality. By not adding it, it's asking the programmer to know the
limitations of the library and add basic features themselves in the
application layer.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9169>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/