lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9165] Allowing udp src port to be 0 in cases when w

From: Alex Moran
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9165] Allowing udp src port to be 0 in cases when we don't care about outgoing port
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2016 20:31:53 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #5, patch #9165 (project lwip):

I apologize if this is the wrong area for this discussion. I didn't think it
was a bug because I was presenting a solution to a problem. I would be happy
to discuss this in the proper location.

While the end goal of my application was to receive multicast traffic, the
patch was first testing unicast traffic, and is valid for all types of udp
communication.

As I stated before, it is impossible to connect a pcb to an ip address without
knowing the senders outgoing port. If the packet is being received and
processed at the udp layer and then dropped over the senders outgoing port,
why not make it an optional requirement to be passed up the pcb layer? Port 0
is already an invalid port to connect to, it is intended to a be a wildcard.
It seems unnecessary to allow every Ip address to reach the application layer
and require the application layer to do the filtering.

Is the argument that the extra check on if the remote port is 0 is an over
unnecessary check of the library and it is correct to place the burden on the
application to maintain the philosophy of being as barebones and light-weight
as possible? Since, for example, only 5% of users may benefit for this, it is
hurting the performance the 95% of all other users?  If so, I respect that can
can see how additional checks and configuration to the library can add up and
eventually hurt the integrity of LWIP of being as light weight as possible.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9165>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/