lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2016 15:25:56 +0000 (UTC)

Follow-up Comment #25, patch #8882 (project lwip):

I think in order to decide on the type to represent our vectors (either a
netbuf, pbuf, or struct iovec (original proposal)) we need some longer term
direction on how we envision the TCP APIs accepting data.

If the vision is that TCP APIs (tcp_write) will always be responsible for
creating TCP segment payload pbufs, then having the socket/netconn layers
allocate and free netbufs/pbufs is wasteful and the only gain would be storing
our vectors in a pre-existing type (even though it is inefficient).

If there is a vision for netconn API that would take netbuf directly and
eventually tcp_write would have support for accepting data in a pbuf, then I
could see value in using netbuf/pbuf to represent out set of vectors

If we are looking for the most efficient structure for storing vectors, then
something like struct iovec would be our choice.  Since we are restricting
open group types to the sockets layer, we could introduce a netconn vector set
type

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8882>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/