lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9165] Allowing udp src port to be 0 in cases when w

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9165] Allowing udp src port to be 0 in cases when we don't care about outgoing port
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 20:38:11 -0000

Follow-up Comment #6, patch #9165 (project lwip):

> It seems unnecessary to allow every Ip address to reach the
> application layer and require the application layer to do the > filtering.

That's true.

To me, it's not only the thought about how many people actually use this.
What's even more important is that everything we do in the core API is done
for the socket API as well, and we have to keep compatibility there. In my
opinion, we can't just allow connecting to port 0 there.

For such changes, I'm open to implement something broadly used (give me
examples from other stacks if there are no RFCs to follow), but I'm not fond
of implementing our own thing: if we're lucky and it doesn't conflict whith
other people's ideas, we still have the problem that nobody knows this
shortcut exists (unless they deeply study lwIP), so not many people can take
advantage of this.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9165>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/