lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #8882] Vector improvements
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2016 20:38:14 -0000

Follow-up Comment #24, patch #8882 (project lwip):

I'm really sorry I keep forgetting to answer. I'm just very busy with other
(non-lwIP) things lately... :-(

Short answer to the last question first: it might be better to not expose pbuf
in netconn API since we have netbuf for that. I don't know why, though, as I'm
not sure what we gain from that indirection?

And an explanation to all my hesistant answers: we have 2 goals here:
a) make vector sending efficient. This is more important for high performance
environments.
b) keep code size and execution overhead small. This is more important for
small, low performance systems.

We have to find a way to fit both requirements without having too much code
duplication...

Creating a netbuf (or pbuf) that is of REF type just to throw it away in
tcp_write() is not the best thing for b), but I hope we get is sorted out soon
to find the best for a) *AND* b)

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?8882>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/