lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #14274] dns: do we need to separate IPv4 servers from

From: Jan Breuer
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #14274] dns: do we need to separate IPv4 servers from IPv6 servers?
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 2016 13:22:00 +0000 (UTC)

Ok, the problem here is not the implementation itself (one or more lists) but
the specification of behaviour. Later, we can develop the implementation
easily.

We should start with the specification and for now forget the original
question.

We need to specify priority IPv6 over IPv4 or alternatively IPv4 over IPv6
depending on configuration.

We have these types of addresses
- Manual IPv4
- Manual IPv6
- DHCPv4 IPv4
- ND6 IPv6
- DHCPv6 IPv6

We should specify rules, what can overwrite what - example for IPv6 over IPv4
priority:
- Manual address can't be overwritten
- DHCPv4 can be overwritten by DHCPv6 and ND6
- Any IPv6 can be overwritten by newer address - lifetime should be also
updated.
- Should we prioritize DHCPv6 over ND6?
- We should overwrite the oldest entry which is allowed to be overwritten
- We should be able to cleanup specific addresses from the list after network
change

Many rules applies only in situation where we have limited space in the list.
If there is enough space, no overwriting will be performed.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14274>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/