lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 07:54:46 +0100

Joel Cunningham wrote:
> What performance issue did you uncover?

Nothing to uncover, I just think there's too much of the generic networking
code involved. It takes too much CPU cycles. That might be OK if you need some
of the fancy features or want to go from briding to routing. But for a simple
"switch" replacement, it seems oversized.

> Most stacks seem to have a bridge concept that is at least defined in man
> pages/online documentation,
> not sure I’ve seen the concept defined in an IEEE document.

Ehrm, isn't that what 802.1D is about?

> We would have to define a set of features for a bridge in LwIP

I'm not sure that really fits into (core) lwIP. lwIP is more about upper
layers. Although it would be nice to somehow have multi-port support in lwIP
(e.g. to implement an LLDP receiver on a multi-port device), the bridge seems
more like a netif thing (one IP address but multiple ports).

Simon