lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 09:02:05 -0600

> On Feb 10, 2017, at 12:54 AM, Simon Goldschmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> Joel Cunningham wrote:
>> What performance issue did you uncover?
>
> Nothing to uncover, I just think there's too much of the generic networking
> code involved. It takes too much CPU cycles. That might be OK if you need
> some of the fancy features or want to go from briding to routing. But for a
> simple "switch" replacement, it seems oversized.
>
>> Most stacks seem to have a bridge concept that is at least defined in man
>> pages/online documentation,
>> not sure I’ve seen the concept defined in an IEEE document.
>
> Ehrm, isn't that what 802.1D is about?

Thanks, I’ll review that again.  If I remember, that doesn’t deal with the
complications of having the bridge also run a layer 3 host

>> We would have to define a set of features for a bridge in LwIP
>
> I'm not sure that really fits into (core) lwIP. lwIP is more about upper
> layers. Although it would be nice to somehow have multi-port support in lwIP
> (e.g. to implement an LLDP receiver on a multi-port device), the bridge seems
> more like a netif thing (one IP address but multiple ports).

Agree that the bulk of the bridge implementation would probably be some kind of
virtual netif, but the one piece that I need to think/learn more about is how
ARPing for the bridge’s IP address works because there is a different hardware
address for each interface

Joel