lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Bridge Implementation
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2017 19:02:04 +0100

Joel Cunningham wrote:
Some bridge implementation use either a randomly
generated one or the one of the first added interface.

That's a strange implementation I also found in linux. I guess it's because it allows end users to create a bridge. End users typically don't have a MAC address to supply to the bridge.

In our world, an 8-port switch implementing e.g. LLDP that has also has an IP address (e.g. for SNMP) should have 9 MAC addresses: one for each port (no IP running there) and 1 for the 9th (virtual) port running an IP stack. Actually you can think of it as a 9 port switch where the 9th port
is only connected internally to a management IC.

The difference of the 9th port is that it can receive traffic from all ports, configure the switch (i.e. its forwarding database) and send either to a dedicated port or letting the switch logic select the destination port.

Simon