lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #14128] Appropriate byte counting/stretch ACK support

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #14128] Appropriate byte counting/stretch ACK support
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2017 19:04:02 -0500 (EST)

I'm further down the rabbit hole now.

Turns out that Linux also had a previous implementation that was closer to ABC
as described in the RFC except for one strange behavior: It only incremented
cwnd once a full segment had been received (or two full segments in the L = 2
* SMSS case).  You can see the man page description of the feature here (under
tcp_abc):

http://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man7/tcp.7.html

I found posts on the mailing list where the feature was eventually disabled by
default because it penalized small application writes and then removed in
ca2eb5679f8ddffff60156af42595df44a315ef0.
http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg122950.html

I also found that NetBSD has an implementation of ABC which matches pretty
closely to the RFC and was what I was thinking of for LwIP (see
tcp_reno_newack):

http://cvsweb.netbsd.org/bsdweb.cgi/src/sys/netinet/tcp_congctl.c?rev=1.23&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup&only_with_tag=MAIN

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14128>

  Message sent via/by Savannah