lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] [patch #9283] Returning access modes with fcntl

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] [patch #9283] Returning access modes with fcntl
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2017 21:55:33 +0100

Continuing on the list, since this is somewhat off-topic to the patch...

Joan Lledó wrote:
Regarding your question, the current stack 'pfinet' is running in a single
task, but of course it is multithreaded. There's one thread that listens to
incoming requests from user tasks and creates a new thread for attending each
request.

The LwIP port works exactly the same way, each request gets a new thread that
calls the proper sockets API function. I think that's enough since the sockets
API is safe-thread, but I'd appreciate your comments.

Well, from the stability point of view, that should be enough, yes.

My thoughts were about the performance rather: even in core locking mode (default since v2), lwIP has a, say, "big network lock". To get decent multiprocessing performance, we would need someone to identify smaller locking areas. Many of them are probably multi reader single writer locks. However, noone has volunteered to do this, yet. Mainly because lwIP is not really used in multiprocessor systems, I guessed (or if it is, running it on one core is enough since networking is often not the only thing a machine needs to do).

Simon