lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] LwIP SMP Experience

From: goldsimon
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] LwIP SMP Experience
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2017 16:16:56 +0100

Oh, I didn't think it was that single threaded... ;-) In that case, MINIX doesn't count in this discussion :-)

Simon

Am 24. März 2017 15:52:11 MEZ schrieb "D.C. van Moolenbroek" <address@hidden>:
On 3/24/2017 15:40, goldsimon wrote:
There are no sockets in MINIX?

Don't be silly now ;) Suspension of socket calls is done a bit more
explicitly, through a socket event library. As far as I understand, that
is in fact the general approach that NetBSD hopes to adopt as well one
day, because explicitly suspending socket calls is actually rather easy
(there is very little state involved) and saves the need for a stack per
suspended call.

MINIX does not have support for kernel threads at all and is not
designed to scale to larger numbers of CPUs, so performance-wise this is
entirely acceptable for us. The main alternative would have been
user-level threads (managed entirely within the service), which I
decided against for the above reasons.

David

lwip-devel mailing list
address@hidden