lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Paper: A Comparison of TCP Implementations, Linux vs. l

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Paper: A Comparison of TCP Implementations, Linux vs. lwIP
Date: Fri, 19 May 2017 09:45:19 +0200

Richard Siegfried wrote:
> Some months ago I wrote a paper on a Comparison of TCP Implementations.
> (Features, Code Quality, Data Structures, etc.)

Why did you compare lwIP to Linux? Skipping throught the paper, I did not see
an answer to this. Nor did I see an introduction to what is lwIP (Linux should
be known well enough to not need this...).

> I'm thankfull for any feedback, corrections or opinions about the
> conclusions I found.

Conclusions for lwIP are mainly:
1) less features than linux
2) not suited for multithreading
3) the tcp_receive() function is too complex

As to 1 & 2: this is well-known and intentional.
As to 3: reading (or debugging) the sources, this is obvious :-) Sadly, noone
has volunteered to imrpove it, yet :-(

Oh, and I was both glad and amused to read that CC seems to serve no real need!

Cheers,
Simon