lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Paper: A Comparison of TCP Implementations, Linux vs. l

From: Richard Siegfried
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Paper: A Comparison of TCP Implementations, Linux vs. lwIP
Date: Mon, 22 May 2017 03:31:42 +0200

On 19/05/17 09:45, Simon Goldschmidt wrote:
> Richard Siegfried wrote:
>> Some months ago I wrote a paper on a Comparison of TCP Implementations.
>> (Features, Code Quality, Data Structures, etc.)
>
> Why did you compare lwIP to Linux? Skipping throught the paper, I did not see
> an answer to this. Nor did I see an introduction to what is lwIP (Linux
> should be known well enough to not need this...).
>
>> I'm thankfull for any feedback, corrections or opinions about the
>> conclusions I found.
>
> Conclusions for lwIP are mainly:
> 1) less features than linux
> 2) not suited for multithreading
> 3) the tcp_receive() function is too complex
>
> As to 1 & 2: this is well-known and intentional.
> As to 3: reading (or debugging) the sources, this is obvious :-) Sadly, noone
> has volunteered to imrpove it, yet :-(
Oh, so refactoring would be merged.
Well, good to know, perhaps, some day if I got some spare time.

Another question which always surprised me (not part of the paper I think):
  Is there a reason lwIP doesn't use inline functions for performance?
  Linux usess them a lot.
  (The inline keyword is part of C99 standards, or as a gcc extension
   before that. http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/tech/inline.html)

> Oh, and I was both glad and amused to read that CC seems to serve no real
> need!
Oh yeah, lol, my bad, sorry

Thanks
-- Richard