lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [patch #9427] Add gethostbyname hook

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [patch #9427] Add gethostbyname hook
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2017 10:00:16 -0400 (EDT)

Follow-up Comment #3, patch #9427 (project lwip):

You're correct that dns_gethostbyname() would not have access to the hook, but
then again the hook would have to be implemented in terms of only raw APIs if
it were placed at that level.  That pretty much rules out hooking in any
external DNS resolver since these are all going to use sockets API (I'm not
aware of any external DNS libraries using LwIP's raw API)

The lack of parity between gethostbyname and dns_gethostbyname hasn't been an
issue in my system since I don't use any of the raw applications, everything
is calling netdb APIs for name resolution

FWIW, DNS resolver systems typically allow external hooks.  mDNSResponder
ships with hooks for Glibc's GNU Name Switch Service and Winsock's Namepsace
Service Provider

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/patch/?9427>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/