lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #14724] thread safe ARP cache APIs

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #14724] thread safe ARP cache APIs
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 14:31:21 -0500 (EST)

> Hmm, to me, everything but sockets and the like (e.g. netdb, if_api) is
meant to use lwIP structures (e.g. ip_addr_t, struct eth_addr, etc). In this
context, a netif is identified by its struct netif.

Your point makes sense, the one thing I think about is that the struct netif
pointer can really only safely be used by the code that owns that instance of
struct netif (which is typically the link-layer) because as you've mentioned,
there is a race holding a pointer when the netif could be removed by the
link-layer code (even worse if struct netif was dynamically allocated and now
it points to free memory).

Using some kind of opaque identifier like index or handle avoids these race
problems.

> Given that, we probably should leave out the netif pointer altogether for
now, since it's not used right now, anyway. Or do you need it?

Nope don't need it, I was just exploring your idea of including it :)  I'll
remove it and get my patch submitted.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14724>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/