lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer callba

From: Douglas
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer callback
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 05:22:36 -0500 (EST)

> I'd rather like to fix the real problem - heavy stack usage by MDNS (aka bug
#48953) instead of trying to hide the symptoms.
> You already provided a patch for it, but it needs more time to review and
several cleanups before it can be applied.

Even with all the work the stack usage is still significant, and there are
recursive algorithms that could spike the usage. I don't want every thread
that simply wants to make a changes to settings to have to provision the extra
stack, even if it's less than 1KB. Some thought also needs to be given to
thread safety, so in part this patch is an attempt to discuss that too.

> But moving the announcement to a timer callback is a good idea, in
combination with a pending flag and random delay it will also implement patch
#9523 "the lightweight way".

I don't really understand why this delay is need, but that appears to be
talking about a reply to questions rather than the unsolicited announcements.
Deferring an answer would probably require very different changes, probably
preparing the response and passing that to the timer callback to send later,
or storing the questions. Whereas the current change just flags an
announcement as required and it is built when the callback is called.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52770>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/