lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer callba

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #52770] mdns: move the announcements to a timer callback
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 08:16:20 -0500 (EST)

Let me phrase it differently. Up to now, there has been a more or less clean
separation between "core" code (callback apis, single thread only) and the
"API" layer (tcpip_thread, netconns, sockets, etc).

The only parts that broke this rule were some infrastructure code and snmp
(don't know exactly why... :).

So your starting to use core locking for a callback style application does not
really fit to lwIP the way it was. I'm not totally against such a change, but
just adding it here would be confusing, I think (why would mdns work from
other threads but other apps don't?). This would ultimately lead to adding
core locking in all entry points to all modules (UDP, TCP, etc.).

Would it be too hard to write your application to call LOCK_TCPIP_CORE()
before calling into mdns?

Core locking is already the default and message passing should be removed in
one of the next releases, so you're OK with only implementing core locking
code.

I wouldn't be too happy with requiring core locking to be recursive. Unless it
makes it really hard for us to implement things, let's leave this as an option
to the ones having to implement the lock.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52770>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/