lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #52763] mdns: move data off the stack and dynamically

From: Erik Ekman
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #52763] mdns: move data off the stack and dynamically allocate data.
Date: Wed, 3 Jan 2018 10:21:24 -0500 (EST)

Adding even more unrelated code into the same patchset is not the way forward.
Our time matters as well, and we want to make sure that the new code works. At
some point it will be easier for me to just do the changes myself than to
review this.

lwIP already runs on platforms without any C standard library. Code that
requires it will not be merged. The mdns code calls a common lwip_strnicmp()
for example instead of any standard library.
In your patch, the data allocated with strndup is returned with mem_free, but
that will fail for everyone but you since the two are usually two totally
different memory allocation systems.

Simon, should we put the domain structs in a pool instead? I think we never
need more than two. Is there any easy way to let the user configure if
something is in its own pool or the common pool?

Keeping two domain structs in a pool uses the same RAM, but reserves it only
for MDNS. That is why I kept it on the stack in the first place.

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/?52763>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/