lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [bug #53325] NetBIOS Responder should respond to "*" names

From: Ray Abram
Subject: [lwip-devel] [bug #53325] NetBIOS Responder should respond to "*" names for lwIP 2.0.3
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2018 22:45:00 -0400 (EDT)

                 Privacy: Public
             Assigned to: None
             Open/Closed: Open
         Discussion Lock: Any
         Planned Release: None
            lwIP version: 2.0.3

Details:

If you want to ask a PC what it's NetBIOS name is then you send that PC a
query with the name * and then that pc sends back it's NetBIOS name

When you use Angry IP to scan all PC's on a network, Angry IP sends a NetBIOS
request to each PC with the NetBIOS name as *
the file "netbiosns.c" does NOT know how to handle a * name

The Arduino NetBIOS code base for the ESP8266 has an implementation that does
respond to * names. the code is here:
https://github.com/esp8266/Arduino/commit/1f7989b31d26d7df9776a08f36d685eae7ac8f99

I have taken the concepts from it and merged them into lwIP V2.0.3's
"lwip\apps\netbiosns\netbiosns.c" so that it can respond to NetBIOS commands
addressed to *

maybe my modifications can be merged into the lwIP next release ?

I have also changed the api "netbiosns_set_name()" to make the incoming name
into upper case as per NetBIOS spec's

File Attachments:

Date: Sun 11 Mar 2018 07:44:59 PM PDT  Name: netbiosns.c  Size: 16KiB   By:
rambooka