lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] Question regarding MDNS defending name.

From: antonio
Subject: [lwip-devel] Question regarding MDNS defending name.
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2018 03:30:53 -0700 (MST)

Dear all,

I am upgrading and adding functionalities to mDNS.

I have a small question.

Suppose that a node have passed the PROBING and ANNOUNCING steps. and now
lets consider that it's in
IDLE step (since the RFC6762 states that a node MUST avoid sending any
further data at all).
Which means that it had confirmed its name and services to be unique.
However, after some time, it receives a packet whose contents indicates that
it's name/service are in conflict.

>From the RFC 6762, Section 9, the immediate action would be to return to
PROBING. However, I am confused, bcz at this stage, since the node have
already confirmed its records being unique, it should instead send a
RESPONSE rather than restart the probing as suggested, and it's in
contradiction with Section 8.1
"*In order to allow services to announce their presence without
   unreasonable delay, the time window for probing is intentionally set
   quite short.  As a result of this, from the time the first probe
   packet is sent, another device on the network using that name has
   just 750 ms to respond to defend its name.*"

Any hints and clarifications are welcome.

Thanks in advance
/Antonio

--
Sent from: http://lwip.100.n7.nabble.com/lwip-devel-f11621.html