lwip-devel

Re: [lwip-devel] Transition to CMake?

From: Joel Cunningham
Subject: Re: [lwip-devel] Transition to CMake?
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2018 10:16:46 -0500

On 04/27/2018 05:31 AM, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
Hello all,

those who watch the lwIP commits have noticed I started working on a CMake based build system.

My question is: Is there an interest in the old Makefile-based system? I'm currently tempted to throw it away :-) I'd just keep the Filelists.mk files for people with Makefile build systems.

I'm not as familiar with CMake. I would assume it supports all the same platforms as the Makefile approach?

The *far* goal would be to also unify the UNIX and Win32 applications. CMake will automatically detect the build host and pull in the appropriate port (Unix/Win32). The netif selection also needs to be per platform, UNIX uses tapif/tunif and Windows uses pcap.

I would welcome separating the netif from the app.  I actually use the pcap netif on windows, but with a custom app that is part of a larger software build.  That required some minor hacking in win32/test.c to only use the netif configuration (msvc_netif_init), while disabling the apps logic (test_init/apps_init)

So the next question is: Who cares about simhost/minimal/lib/check project in the unix port?

The check project is for our unit tests.  I would assume you're not suggesting getting rid of that or at least have a CMake replacement?

Are they important for someone? I'd say we throw them away and clean up the windows application some more. Currently Simon maintains the Win32 app and I care about the simhost unix app. They basically do the same, so this is a waste of time.

Please guys give us some feedback on this!

Joel