lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] RE:Re: Checksum problem with lwip_chksum()

From: Jim Gibbons
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] RE:Re: Checksum problem with lwip_chksum()
Date: Tue, 07 Sep 2004 10:34:00 -0700

I see the problem.  There are currently 8 ports in contrib, and many others that haven't ever been put there.  Each would have to be changed.  Changing the 8 that are in contrib wouldn't be too difficult, but no single contributor would be able to retest them.  This is a bit of a mess.

Perhaps it could be made a little safer and easier by introducing a macro to be used in place of the calls to lwip_chksum that are now made.  The changes would be as follows:

1) Make sure that inet.c includes sys_arch.h, either directly or indirectly.

2) Change all references to lwip_chksum to LWIP_CHKSUM.

3) Conditionally define LWIP_CHKSUM in inet.c.

#ifndef LWIP_CHKSUM
/* comments to explain the intended use */
#define LWIP_CHKSUM lwip_chksum /* perhaps include parameters... */
#endif

Anyone who needed to change it could do so by adding a function prototype and a definition of LWIP_CHKSUM to sys_arch.h.

A possible objection to this would be that it isn't sufficiently clear to the developer of a new port that this is an issue to be examined.  I don't really see how to resolve that without biting the bullet and changing a lot of existing ports.  Which would take us right back to the retesting problem...