lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Performance Question about pbuf

From: Timmy Brolin
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Performance Question about pbuf
Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 00:28:51 +0100

My guesstimate would be: Yes, you should see a slight performance increase if you use pbufs equal to the maximum size of ethernet frames. Compared to smaller pbufs of size 300Bytes or so.
But it will waste alot of RAM.
It will also depend alot on your application. If 90% of all packets are less than 300Bytes, then there is little reason to use pbufs larger than 300bytes. However, if your application use alot of maximum sized packets, then large pbufs would make sense.

I see the capability to chain smaller pbufs to conserve wast amounts of RAM as one of the major advantages of lwip compared to most other TCP/IP stacks. One of the more popular (and extremely expensive) commercial TCP/IP stack for embedded systems can not do this.

Timmy Brolin

Amir Bukhari wrote:

Is the performance increase when I use big pbuf size? In my system I have
enough memory for pools. I can alocate for TCP 1~5 MB.

-Amir