lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Broadcast packets breaking my network traffic

From: Kieran Mansley
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Broadcast packets breaking my network traffic
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2007 16:27:35 +0100

On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 18:11 +0300, Caglar Akyuz wrote:
> Kieran Mansley wrote:
> > On Thu, 2007-07-19 at 15:35 +0100, Kieran Mansley wrote:
> >> Can you get a small ethereal capture to illustrate this?  The fact that
> >> the hub makes a difference is interesting.  I wonder if it is a problem
> >> with the boards seeing packets from one of the other boards.  Does it
> >> happen in response to all broadcast ARP packets, or only some?  Does it
> >> happen in response to other broadcast packets?
> >
> > Is there any traffic (other than broadcast packets and TCP ACKs) going
> > back from the PC to the devices?  If not, it could be just that the
> > board receiving data is causing them problems (rather than it being
> > broadcast packets in particular).  You could try sending a UDP stream at
> > the board (which should just drop the packets if there is nothing
> > listening to receive them) and see what that does.
> >

> No there isn't no other traffic other than packets and ACKS. Do you
> think pinging may cause the same effect because I'm pinging the devices
> while packets are flying. Some times pinging was ok, sometimes it
> crushed the boards.

If pinging kills the board I suggest there is something seriously wrong.
Not sure where though I would guess it might be something to do with
protection of the core stack.  Perhaps you have an rx packet and a tx
packet being processed at the same time and this causes corruption.  How
do you synchronise processing of RX and TX in your port?

Kieran