lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Zero Copy Ethernet interface

From: Jonathan Larmour
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Zero Copy Ethernet interface
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 14:54:11 +0100

Andrew Dennison wrote:
[re andrew's mail:]

input_thread_loop:
    pbuf_alloc() 1514 bytes
    pass pbuf to driver and block waiting for packet then DMA from
device
    pbuf_realloc() <- trim to actual length
    netif->input()
[snip]
I'm interested to hear if you have ideas on how to improve my implementation.

I don't know if this is what Simon is alluding to, but if you get two receives in quick succession (which is surely quite likely), the way you describe your implementation would result in the second having a good chance of getting dropped because another pbuf wasn't ready yet. Point being, there's a window where no packet buffer is available.

Jifl