lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] Separating 'user' code from LWIP code base

From: Rasmussen, Art N.
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] Separating 'user' code from LWIP code base
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2007 12:45:33 -0600

The suggestion of changing the LWIP source code to set debug flags and then detecting new or obsolete flags is a good one. I am doing essentially the same thing only in a 2 step 'import' process. I first get the latest LWIP pull from the CVS repository; I put it into my 'local copy' working area. I am then able to diff the latest pull from the previous version using my local repository (aka the 'archive' repository). We are using Subversion; TortoiseSVN has a graphical diff that makes this step quick and easy.

The second phase is to install local changes to the new lwIP source and copy the updated source into the development repository, where it can again be diff'd against the previous version of the code.

The process is partially automated so it can be done frequently to keep up with the latest lwIP IP CVS code. The first phase shows what changes have been made to the lwIP debug flags; at this point I update my 'debug_local.h' if necessary. Because there are few changes to the debug flags, there is generally nothing to do. The 'debug_local.h' file contains the my preferences for debug flag settings so that I don't need to fix up the lwIP source code each time a new version of lwIP is imported.

I changed the process per your suggestion. The lwipopts.h now includes debug_local.h, so nothing in the lwIP source needs to be altered.

Thanks much for the idea.